Blushing Bridal Dinner EventApril 10, 2019
A Nautical Inspired Baby ShowerMay 20, 2019
The abundance of dyed hard-boiled eggs around here is really quite ridiculous. We dyed Easter eggs on three separate occasions multiplied by three kids and I’m certain we have well exceeded 4 dozen hard-boiled eggs now! We are a hard-boiled egg loving family but there is no way we can eat that many before they go bad. Since I hate wasting food I wanted to come up with a new delicious way to eat them so I came up with this recipe just last week.
Last week I had one of those “I need to use whatever I have in the fridge to make dinner” moments paired with “I must use some of these eggs!” so I did an impromptu LIVE feed on Instagram with this recipe that I decided to throw together.
This hardboiled egg + chopped chicken salad turned out really yummy and ended up being very versatile in the various ways you could make a meal out of it. What’s really nice about this quick and easy recipe is that you can use a lot of refrigerator items and left-overs to make it come together quickly! I used left-over BBQ’d bone-in chicken breast and pulled the chicken off of the bone before roughly chopping it up. Again, whatever type of chicken you have in your fridge should work just fine. The chicken that I used was BBQ’d but had just simple seasoning on it. The already grilled chicken breast at Trader Joes would work great as well as the grilled chicken pieces or shredded rotisserie chicken meat from Costco. Since this recipe is all about being quick and easy, don’t fuss over the chicken!
I used a lemon tahini dressing that I had made just the week prior for a tasty salad that I served at a party that we hosted at home. If you’re not a big tahini fan you can definitely skip that dressing and use a mayo or avocado based dressing instead, too. I enjoyed the tahini dressing and felt like it made a unique flavor profile for this salad so I highly recommend trying it out!
Lemon Tahini Dressing
- 1/2 cup tahini paste
- 1/2 cup water, plus more as needed
- 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or garlic paste)
- 1 tablespoons agave nectar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 Hard-boiled eggs, peeled & chopped
- 4 Cooked Chicken breasts or meat of bone-in chicken, chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 5 Celery stalks, diced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Lemon Tahini Dressing
1. Add all ingredients to a mason jar, put the lid on it, and shake it up until it is well mixed! If the dressing seems too thick, continue to add water 1 tablespoon at a time until it has reached a good dressing consistency.
1. Peel & rinse the hard-boiled eggs (to ensure there’s no shells). Roughly chop the eggs and place in a large bowl.
2. Chopped whatever chicken you’re using and add to the bowl with the chopped eggs.
3. Dice red onion and add to the bowl
4. Dice celery stalks and add to the bowl.
5. Stir ingredients to mix them up.
6. Add the Lemon Tahini Dressing (I used about 1/2 cup, but add more/less depending on the desired consistency and fold in to combine.
7. Add Salt & Pepper to taste (I added about 1/2 teaspoon of each!)
8. I served mine over lemony kale with a side of celery sticks.
I ate my egg & chicken salad over lemony kale (Kale with fresh lemon juice & avocado oil massaged onto it), however, it would make a delicious sandwich on your favorite bread or roll. The salad can also be used to make a wrap and would be excellent with sliced avocado, also. For lunch the next day I ate mine lettuce-wrap style in butter lettuce – yummy!