I made this delicious roasted carrot and tomato soup the other day and it was really good and also really filling. I love roasted vegetables and it’s usually my go-to method for cooking them, especially when I am preparing a variety at once.
This soup can be made with just about any size tomatoes so long as the weight is about the same. It is easy to thin this soup out to your desired consistency by simply adding more stock.
– 2 pounds ripe tomatoes – I used heirloom cherry tomatoes
– 1 pound carrots – I used the multi-colored variety from Trader Joes
– 3 cloves minced garlic
– 1 cup vegetable stock – chicken stock or beef stock can be used if you’re not concerned with it being vegan
– 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
– 1 tablespoon salt (plus more to taste)
– 1/2 tablespoon coarsely ground pepper
– 1/2 tablespoon paprika
– 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped basil
*Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees*
1. Sliced tomatoes in half and set aside in a large bowl
2. peel and slice carrots into 1/2-1″ chunks and add to tomatoes in the large bowl
3. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil on the vegetables and coat thoroughly before adding in the salt, pepper, basil, garlic, and paprika. Toss to coat.
4. Place coated tomatoes and carrots on a large baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Its important they’re all in a single layer so they roast and not just steam.
5. Once the veggies are done roasting, add them in batches to your blender (I used my Vitamix) and blend until smooth. The mixture will be thick.
6. Slowly add in the stock until your desired consistency – you can always add more to thin it out.
7. Taste test your delicious soup and adjust seasoning as needed.
8. Serve immediately and should there be any leftovers, it will be fine for a few days in the fridge!