Summer brings the best of things; sun, outdoors, trips to Lake Tahoe, and light healthy dishes. I especially love summer dishes that require minimal cooking – or can be barbecued – and can be served at room temperature.
My favorite summer dish is a Corn, Jalapeno, and Avocado salad with lime and extra virgin olive oil. This combination is to-die-for! There are many variations of this salad that can be made depending on what sounds good and what you have on hand, but, I always use this recipe as the base.
Servings: 6 (or, 2 nights of dinner for me…ha )
6 ears of corn
2 jalapeno peppers
2 tbsp evoo
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Cut the jalapeno in half and seed 3 halves and leave 1 with the seeds and membranes to add extra heat. If you don’t love heat than clear out all of the seeds and membranes of them all.
2. Dice up the jalapeno & throw in a serving bowl
3. Dice up the avocados & throw in the bowl
4. BBQ the corn so that it gets a light char on all of them
5. Let the corn cool slightly & slice the kernels off – be VERY careful doing this! Throw in the bowl
6. Use the juice of the limes sparingly at first and base it on taste & preference. Add as you go. I love lime so I use both.
7. Add 2 tablespoons of EVOO.
8. Season with salt & pepper. Remember that both bring out the heat & the lime so a little goes a long way.
9. Mix everything together.
10. Serve at room temperature or warm (from the corn). I do not recommend refrigerating before serving… it just isn’t as good.